Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cubs lose to the Rangers and Tie with the A's; Only off day of the Spring Tomorrow

The Cubs played another pair of split-squad games today.  Ryan Dempster, who already has a guaranteed spot in the starting rotation, was the first Cubs starter to finish six spring innings and allowed four hits, two earned runs, issued two walks and three strikcouts today against the Rangers.  Although Blake DeWitt was 2 for 4 and had an RBI triple and scored and Starlin Castro was also 2 for 4 with a double and triple, the Rangers beat the Cubs 6-2.

Cubs manager Dale Sveum said the following about Dempster, "Very, very, very good.  Very good fastball command, he was able to pitch up in the zone.  It was kind of like the Dempster that pitches all the time that I've seen shove it up our butt in Milwaukee when I was there."  Dempster said, "I feel good, my body feels good, my arm feels really good.  I'm looking forward to a couple of more starts before the season starts."  We'll see if Dempster or Matt Garza will get the nod to be the Opening Day starter.

Ryan Dempster pitched 6 innings against the Rangers (photo from Chris Carlson/AP)
Closer Carlos Marmol had a cramp in his right hand during the Cubs-Rangers game and had a precautionary MRI.  Marmol said before going for the MRI that he wasn't worried.  "I know my body, I feel great," he said. "I don't know where (the cramp) comes from."

In the Cubs other split-squad game against the Oakland Athletics, Rodrigo Lopez, who is a contender for a starting rotation spot, pitched five innings and allowed three hits, one earned run, issued one walk and four strikeouts.  Tony Campana was 4 for 5 in the game.  The Cubs and A's ended in a 5-5 tie.

Rodrigo Lopez pitched against the A's today (photo from Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Cubs starter Paul Maholm has reached his goal of 20,000 followers on Twitter.  He tweeted today, "Gonna be doing the give away contest on Thursday. I will let u know what time. I have 2 opening day tix, a team signed ball etc up for grabs"  You can find and follow Maholm on twitter as @paul_maholm.

The Cubs have their only off day of the spring tomorrow.  Only 16 more days until Opening Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment