Friday, June 15, 2012

Ryan Dempster amazing as he leads Cubs to 3-0 win over Red Sox

Ryan Dempster pitched an amazing game as he led the Cubs to a 3-0 win over the Boston Red Sox at Wrigley Field this afternoon.  Dempster allowed just four hits over seven scoreless innings and struck out three and walked two batters.  He has now pitched 22 consecutive shutout innings.

Ryan Dempster pitched seven shutout innings against the Red Sox Friday
In addition to pitching another outstanding game today, Dempster also contributed offensively by hitting a triple and a single.  His performance today certainly was favorable in generating higher trade revenue for the right hander.

"I'm not naive, I'm not oblivious to what's going on," Dempster said regarding the possibility of being traded.  "But it's really out of my control — not out of my control because actually it is under my control - but it's one of those things if I focused on that and worried about that, I wouldn't be doing a very good job as a teammate.  And I wouldn't be doing a very good job for myself if I wasn't focusing on what I need to do.  And whatever ends up happening, happens.   Right now I'm here and love being here and everybody knows that."

It has been confirmed that Dempster will waive his no-trade rights if it means going to a contender. 
"You don't want to lose your No. 1 starter," Cubs third baseman David DeJesus said.  "We understand it's part of the game, and we'd love to have him here.  If it happens [and he's traded], we'll move on. It's the nature of the beast."

I was lucky to be at the Friendly Confines to watch the Cubs win today and I must say the weather was absolutely perfect!  Following are some photos I took at the game:

Cubs players during the National Anthem

More Cubs during the National Anthem

Jamie Quirk before the game

Tony Campana on third

Ryan Dempster gets ready to pitch

Second baseman Darwin Barney

Ryan Dempster on-deck

Ryan Dempster on third base after his triple!

Alfonso Soriano on-deck

Carlos Marmol was back as the Cubs' closer

Manager Dale Sveum after his on-field chat with Marmol

Cubs celebrating their win

More Cubby high-fives!

Even more Cubs celebrating their "W"

Cubs after their win!

"Go Cubs Go!"

Final score: Cubs 3, Red Sox 0
Tomorrow the Cubs and Red Sox will play the second game of the three-game series at 6:15pm CT.  Jeff Samardzija will make the start for the Cubs and try for his sixth win of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment